Poem analysis means the examination of an excerpt from a cultural work with further research of its historical value, form and style. Usually, you describe feelings that were experienced by the main character or by the author. In this article, you’ll learn how to write correctly about such types of essays.
Before writing the final version of your essay, make a small draft, where you put all parts together and clearly understand the main theme of the poem and feelings of the characters. It will help you if you read the verse aloud with necessary intonation and punctuation. While preparing your analysis, you should take into account all the following characteristics of each literary work.
- Title. Usually, authors think a lot about the title of their work. It’s important to them that the name of their work will introduce to the readers the theme of the poem and its mood and motives.
- Intonation. All mood of the poem depends on its tone and intonation. You can read one work with different intonations and it will take various meanings. Also, the authors give their characters certain character traits, which will be the basis for the mood of all work.
- Language and imaginary. While you are reading a literary work, images that the author describes are drawn in your mind. So it’s very important to pay attention to the phrases and speech patterns that were used in this poem.
- Sounds effects. It is last, but not the last item on our list, but it’s also very crucial. Sounds of the surrounding world have great importance in each work. For example, you can imagine the picture of the waterfall, where the main character having a rest, and then hear the sound of the water that is falling from the high.
- Structure of the poem. You should carefully understand in which style this poem was written. Do the parts relate to each other, or they separated and is there any logical sense in each paragraph of the poem. Besides, pay attention to the whole appearance of the poem. Does it have some strict format or it was written in a free manner?
Main parts of your analysis
As a general essay this type also consists of an introduction, the body of the text and conclusion. However, they all have their own moments to pay attention to.
- Introduction. In the introduction you may say when the poem was written and by whom. In that case, you can tell some facts about the author exactly from that period. Some facts about his life and creativity will be perfect.
- Body of the text. In the body of the text you should reference all ideas to the poem so use excerpts to prove your thoughts. Tell about language features that the author used and make an analysis of the character’s feelings and thoughts, but remember to be clear in your statements.
- Conclusion. At the end of your analysis, you can write about the information, which that author wanted to tell in his poem. Try to understand the author’s idea and felt that he had during writing this work. Also, you can say what you think about this work. But be respectful to the author and don’t tell any unnecessary words.